Panic has ensued over the announcement of a supply issue with many of the ADHD medications that contain a form of amphetamine drug. The FDA has posted drug shortage alerts due to the quotas imposed on manufacturers by the US Drug Enforcement Administration on the active ingredient, namely the amphetamine mixed salt. Limits are being imposed on manufacturing and are expected to continue for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Among the drugs affected are the commonly prescribed Adderall® and Metadate®.
If you should experience difficulty having a prescription filled,
· Ask your pharmacist if the medication is available from another location, especially if you use a large chain pharmacy.
· Contact the manufacturer to help locate a pharmacy that has your medication in stock.
· Contact the doctor who prescribed the medication to see if he/she has any samples you can use.
· Ask your doctor about the availability of other medications used to treat ADHD.
· Always have the effectiveness of a new medication tested using quantitative testing, which is available at the Portrait Health Centers.
Portrait Health Centers www.portraithealthcenters.com will work with your doctor to find the best solution during this time of low supply of your ADHD Medication. For more information about this testing service and other services provided by Portrait Health Centers, call us at 847-868-3835 and ask to speak with our Nurse Navigator. You may also schedule an appointment on-line by clicking here:
Portrait Health Centers, the industry leader in the treatment of learning disorders for children and adults, shares tips, news, and advice about the treatment, diagnosis, and therapy options for people struggling with Attention Deficit (ADHD) and other learning disorders.